Prague Christmas Market
You may have a different Christmas Market to recommend, and I’m more familiar with Europe than America when it comes to these sorts of fests. If you know of others you’d recommend, please comment!
1. Bremen, Germany When: to 23 December Where to stay Hotel Am Hillmannplatz Nr.1 is a good choice, with both the main train station and the Christmas market area a short stroll away.
2. Prague, Czech Republic When: to 4 Jan Prague is fairytale fabulous any day of the year, but come Christmas the Czech capital really twinkles.
3. Brussels, Belgium When: to 1 Jan At 2km long, with over 250 chalets selling all manner of seasonal souvenirs, plus a fairground and a constellation of Christmas lights, Brussels Christmas market is Belgium’s biggest.
4. Dusseldorf, Germany When: to 23 Dec The atmosphere at this huge German Christmas market is unbeatably cheery. Dusseldorf is not just one market but several, with the entire city center caught up in festive celebrations for five full weeks.
5. Amsterdam, Netherlands When: to early Jan Santa Claus really comes to town in Amsterdam where you’ll find not just one Christmas market but 26!
6. Gothenburg, Sweden When: to 30 Dec. Daylight may be in short supply during Swedish winter, but you’ll be tripping the light fantastic in ‘Scandinavia’s Christmas city’, Gothenburg.
7. Edinburgh, Scotland, UK When: to 7 Jan Home to one of the finest Christmas markets the UK has to offer, the Scottish capital certainly knows how to throw a party (have you ever been to Hogmanay?) and the festive season rivals Edinburgh’s famous festival in both size and spirits.
8. Strasbourg, France When: to 31 Dec Strasbourg is charming any time of year but at Christmas it’s the picture-perfect winter wonderland, with towering fir trees on the Place Kléber (a 400-year-old custom), timbered houses festooned with red and white hearts and fairy light stars strung across its cobbled streets.